Tuesday 31 October 2017

Review: Turtles All the Way Down by John Green.

35504431
Rating
Review

“I would never slay the dragon, because the dragon was also me.” 
I am going to be honest and say that the way Aza's OCD and anxiety is potrayed is completely on point and genuine. I can actually see her struggling through it, how even after fighting it so much, anxiety takes over her mind and makes her question her every move. That was something I could relate on some level, and I really appreciate that John Green has wrote about it in a very realistic way. You can actually see how hard Aza is trying to fight it, but then comes a point when even she cannot control her thoughts no matter how much she tries. It was all just too real and heartbreaking to see how something so small, just a couple of thoughts then becomes something more than what a human mind can control.


This book would've been a brilliant read had it only focused on the main character and her life. There was so much to explore, about her thoughts and how it affected the people around her. But while you are reading and connecting with Aza, this plot of missing person keeps popping up after every few pages. And don't take me wrong, I love mysterious plots, and Paper Towns is a great example of it. But here it just seemed unnecessary and forced.

I mean, one moment you're reading about a very serious issue, and then suddenly we have bunch of teenagers talking about god knows what! I mean, even I used to wonder about many things as a teenager,. Sometimes you just start talking about something and it ends up becoming this deep and meaningful conversation. Now just take those conversations and add them to every text and dialogue. And that's how most of Aza and David's conversations go. Like, can't just they have some normal conversations once in a while?!!

Watching Aza's character grow was so beautiful, but then typical john green twists shows up. Like our characters acting way ahead of their age. Also in this case, a very unnecessary plot of how Davis' father goes missing. And the thing is that the main plot about this whole mystery isn't even being developed that much, and even at the end it's just plain.

I can go on and on about the flaws of this book, but I won't. And after having said all that, I would still recommend this book to my friends mainly because I LOVE, LOVE how John Green has dealt with the situation of a main character having anxiety. And that's the only reason I'm giving this book three starts.

Plus, being a John Green book, you can always expect a lot of beautiful quotes. To be honest, I wanted to highlight 50% of my copy with because John Green is brilliant! And here are some of my favorite quotes -
“Anybody can look at you. It's quite rare to find someone who sees the same world you see.”


“You're both the fire and the water that extinguishes it. You're the narrator, the protagonist, and the sidekick. You're the storyteller and the story told. You are somebody's something, but you are also your you.”


“True terror isn’t being scared; it’s not having a choice on the matter.”


“The thing about a spiral is, if you follow it inward, it never actually ends. It just keeps tightening, infinitely.”


“It’s a weird phrase in English, in love, like it’s a sea you drown in or a town you live in. You don’t get to be in anything else—in friendship or in anger or in hope. All you can be in is love.”

6 comments:

  1. Ah darn. I was so hesitant to pick this book up. I almost bought it today, but after reading your review I'm glad I didn't! I'll wait for it to be available at my local library :) Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to read this one. I mean, it's John Green. I guess the book would have gotten too tedious if it was only about anxiety, but it's a shame it feels so forced. I'll probably buy it anyway cause I'd like to have all his books.
    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so hesitant to read this book. The cover and synopsis just don't grab me. I haven't seen GREAT reviews, only reviewers that liked parts of this book...

    ReplyDelete
  4. True. The missing father’s plot is not needed. The book would have been different if it only concentrated on the main character.
    Aza’s thoughts of spiral is what I relate to the most.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi

    I am sharing links of my debut novel Men and Dreams in the Dhauladhar below- by 60 Echo


    Please see if the novel spikes your interest and confirm. Would like you to mail you a hard copy for Review and for hosting on the Instagram forgive away

    would liek the winners to write review

    Kind Regards

    Kochery C Shibu

    http://www.delhibooklovers.com/must-read-books.html

    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17561834-men-and-dreams-in-the-dhauladhar?ac=1&from_search=true

    http://www.amazon.in/Men-Dreams-Dhauladhar-Kochery-Shibu/dp/9385285009

    https://www.flipkart.com/men-dreams-dhauladhar-english/p/itmeb56pte7vafgh

    http://www.abebooks.com/Men-Dreams-Dhauladhar-Kochery-C-Shibu/16783121187/bd

    http://www.delhibooklovers.com/must-read-books.html

    http://menanddreamsinthedhauladhar.com

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu8u_1Maj34

    #Men& #Dreamsin #Dhauladhar fabulous read by @Kocherycshibu. #Thrilling @niyogibooks #books#indianwriting @htcity
    HT Life&Style


    Attachments

    Attachments area
    Preview YouTube video Men and Dreams in the Dhauladhar

    Attachments area
    Preview YouTube video Men and Dreams in the Dhauladhar
    Attachments area
    Preview YouTube video Men and Dreams in the Dhauladhar
    https://www.instagram.com/menanddreamsinthedhauladhar/

    Attachments
    Attachments area
    Preview YouTube video Men and Dreams in the Dhauladhar

    Attachments area
    Preview YouTube video Men and Dreams in the Dhauladhar

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to read this book but I'm a bit scared at the same time. I was such a big fan of John Green when I was a teenager and now I'm just worried I might find it a little boring.

    ReplyDelete