Thursday 27 October 2016

Review: We Are The Ants by Shaun David Hutchinson

23677341
My rating.


Review.

"Your entire sense of self-worth is predicated upon your belief that you matter, that you matter to the universe. But you don't. Because we are the ants."


Wow. I came across this book few days ago and started reading it as soon as I was able to get the copy of this book. There are some books that makes me want to read it right away because I know that I am going to like it, and this is definitely one of them. This book affected me very strongly and left me thinking a lot about life and the choices we make. I also love the simple yet beautiful cover of this book.Well, I love everything about this book!



Although the book deals with many serious issues, it is presented in a very light way. I loved the writing;it was hilarious and easy to read. The author has wrote a great inspirational story with good humor and gripping plot.


“I was surrounded by heaven. The sun, the moon, the earth, and all those living stars. They wen't static like in pictures taken from impossibly far away- they breathed, they glowed. They were future and past, possibility and memory. They were beautiful."


The story starts off with Henry telling about the aliens and how they abduct him and experiments on him. At first he doesn't know why they chose him for doing experiments on him, but then he comes to know that the world is going to end, and he has to decide whether to push the button which will save the world or not.

Henry's character is actually very hilarious and charming, but there is also sadness and guilt in him which makes him question his existence and if the world should be saved or not.


“That's the problem with memories: you can visit them, but you can't live in them.”

Henry is not only dealing with the aliens, but also with the guy who likes him but also bullies him in front of everyone. Although he meets a guy named Diego, he is not able to get over his ex-boyfriend's suicide and the story often becomes sad and heartbreaking because his ex-boyfriend is present in his life just like other people.


"Sometimes I think gravity may be death in disguise.
Other times I think gravity is love,
which is why love's only demand is that we fall."

I really love how despite all that, Diego never leaves his side, even when almost everyone thinks he's crazy because he talks about aliens. Diego characters is also complex like Henry's, both has flaws and has made mistakes in their lives, but I like how they deals with it and doesn't let it ruin their relationship with family and friends. Also, his family is the most weird family I've ever seen, some scenes are hilarious, but most of them are heartwarming. Every character is different and is an important part of Henry's life.

This book is beautiful, hilarious, heartbreaking, and inspirational. The writing is very clever and brilliant which makes the story believable, and the best part of the book is that everything which takes place in this book gives a very strong message and doesn't happen for no reason.

I loved this book, it started off with funny and hilarious scenes, got serious at many places, but ended beautifully. It's a kind of book that stays with you for a long time. And I don't think I am going to stop think about this book anytime soon. It is definitely going at the top of my favorite list. After finishing We Are the Ants, I am really looking forward to read other books by this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment