Friday 24 August 2018

Review: All You Perfects by Colleen Hoover



My rating
Review
“If you only shine light on your flaws, all your perfects will dim.”


I can easily sum up all of Colleen Hoover's books in few words - Emotional, heartbreaking, and raw.

Her stories has evolved so much over the time. I still remember reading her first novel, Hopeless, and falling in love with her writing and the characters. Her stories have always managed to touch my heart, even if I didn't relate to some parts of it. I used to love her romance novels, which made me believe that even though sometimes thing don't work out the way you want to, it all gets better eventually. Her stories are so emotional, but also gives you hope. And even now, her recent stories have been equally great. I will say that I cannot relate to the issues these characters are going through, but it still breaks my heart to read it.

I'll try to not give away the gist of this novel, because it's better if you experience it yourself. All Your Perfects is written alternatively in past and present chapters, which I feel was much needed because of how heavy some scenes got. This story is mainly about a couple dealing with infertility (probably the first book I've read on this topic), and because of that, both of them goes through phases of depression, desperately trying to make their marriage work.


Along with their struggle with infertility, this story also shows how mean the society can be, and how once the woman reaches a certain age, they start asking about kids. I really liked Colleen Hoover's take on this, because her stories are never sugar coated, and yet you'll be able to find something inspiring in it. Like every other CoHo story, even this one had me close to tears. And because the story is written in both past and present, one moment I'll be reading how happy they are together in past, and next chapter, I'm almost crying because of how badly they both were suffering.

All the time, I kept wondering what will happen to them, because even when the story came close to the ending, I had now idea how it was going to end. But this book was everything I thought it would be! It's a prefect CoHo novel. It will tear your heart out, but it also reaffirms your faith in love. Here's one of my favorite quote from the book, which perfectly explains my thoughts -

“What's the secret to a perfect marriage?' The old man leaned forward and looked at me very seriously. 'Our marriage hasn't been perfect. No marriage is perfect. There were times when she gave up on us. There were even more times when I gave up on us. The secret to our longevity is that we never gave up at the same time.”

No comments:

Post a Comment